Thursday, June 17, 2010

John 14:6

Here is something interesting that PJ shared with me the other night. He was at an interview for a youth pastor postion at our church here in Prosper when he was asked a question similar to this:
"Who has eternal life in heaven?"
"Those who believe in Jesus. John 14:6 says, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me'."

After the interview, one of the elders approached him and said, "I want you to read Romans 11:25-32"

PJ came home and opened up his Bible. I'm not going to type out the whole passage here in the blog - but you should go read it! The subtitle of the passage is 'All Israel Will Be Saved'.

I have been told my whole life that the only way to eternal life with God is through belief in Christ. Therefore, anyone who does not believe he is Lord and Savior (Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc.) will have eternal condemnation. I have been told that Jews will not be in heaven. Straight up, just like that. By EVERYONE who has taught me the word.

The only problem is that Romans clearly states that the Jews will be in heaven because God made a promise to them as his chosen people.

He had mercy on us (Gentiles) in our disobedience and will have mercy on the Jews for their disobedience (crusifying the Christ).

It's a crazy thing to grasp (old dogs can't learn new tricks, afterall) and I had TONS of questions about it that PJ had some good thoughts on. Right now I can't remember any of those questions, but I would really like to write about my doubts and PJ responses to them.

You should ask some questions so that I can think more about it.

Mrs. Scalf

No comments:

Post a Comment