Monday, May 3, 2010

Just Another Day

Dear Friends,

I just sat down to read the Word a bit and came across something interesting that I figured I should write about. Also, yesterday's service was amazing. The one-and-only KV spoke on Matthew 7:12-23...yikes - it's a TOUGH one! Actually, all of Matthew 5-7 is especially tough (The Sermon on the Mount). It should make one realize how sinful he is and how great there is a need for a savior. I'm hoping to put a blog up about that passage (from what was taught by KV in church and DownLine) later this week.

But for now, 1Corinthians 5:9-11.

I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people - not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
I fully understand when Paul says, "not at all meaning the people of this world...". One cannot expect godly character from a person who does not believe or have the Spirit living in him. These are the people that Christ tells us to preach the good news to, so of course we are to associate with them in order to increase the Kingdom
But it's almost as if Paul expects Christians to be PERFECT! We all have one struggle or another. I'm greedy. I struggle with making worldly treasures my idol. So should Christians not associate with me!? What about Grace? Is it different if a brother is mourning over this sin or recognizes it and needs help? SHOULD I ABANDON MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS BECAUSE THEY ARE SINFUL (LIKE ME)? Now I know that I shouldn't do that, but really, Paul - what do you mean?
Please leave your comments!
Mrs. Scalf

No comments:

Post a Comment