Monday, February 1, 2010

More Jesus

This is what it boils down to - EVERYONE NEEDS MORE JESUS.

My soul was hungry for some time with our Lord this weekend, and I ignored it, and ignored it, until I couldn't do one more thing until I read, thought, and prayed. I will be the first to admit that my time with the Lord is MINIMAL. But when I listened to the Holy Spirit telling me to get away with Him... i felt relaxed and so peaceful. It was EXACTLY what I needed. I'm trying to read through my Bible cover to cover and memorize James. I finished off 1st Samuel and am now moved into 2nd Samuel - the life of King David. I argued with God saying, "I'm in the Samuels.... what am I going to read in there that so great, anyway? I'm bored with it." But that wasn't the point because LIFE ISN'T ABOUT ME AND WHAT I WANT! Just reading God's Word was all I needed and He knew that...

And I need more of Him. Everyone does.... People will say things and I can't help but think, "you need more Jesus..." I will think things or reflect on my selfish week and think, "I need more JESUS!" We all need more Jesus.

I'm going through the Financial Peace videos by Dave Ramsey and at one point he talks about the necessity of discipline in order to gain wealth (or in my case be financially wise). He said no one enjoys discipline... if you do, you're kind of weird. But everyone enjoys what discipline produces. Which is TRUE. When I am disciplined in my diet and exercise I feel great and stay thin. Do I like training for half marathons? NO . Do I like going to the gym to lift after a long day at work? NO. But the product of a disciplined workout is worth it. In the same way, I do not necessarily enjoy sitting down and reading Samuel, but I LOVE what God does with it - the product of quality time with Him!

Discipline has been my biggest battle in my walk with the Lord.

Also... I made sticky buns again today and they were delicious. Although I spilled half of the buttery brown sugar mixture all over me while trying to carry them to my car... Other than that, they were a DELIGHT for sure. Here is the recipe in case you are itching for some:

1 frozen loaf of white bread (I think I used Pillsbury or Kroger brand, in the frozen bread section. It came in a package of 5 loaves.)

1 package non-instant vanilla pudding

5 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Thaw bread according to package directions. Place on a lightly floured surface and roll into roughly a 12x8 rectangle. Melt the butter and spread some across the rolled out dough. In a small bowl, combine pudding, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the butter. Roll up the dough (from long edge to long edge) and cut into 12 equal pieces. Place pieces into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Pour the remaining butter over the rolls. Cover and let rise. (I let rise over night in the refrigerater and they are ready to bake in the morning). Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered for 18-20 minutes or until the top of the rolls are golden brown. Finally, flip the rolls upside down onto a plate and ENJOY!


Next I will have Veronica's strawberry chocolate chip cookies... oh so approriate for Valentine's Day!

Mrs. Scalf

No comments:

Post a Comment